Thursday, April 29, 2010

The hidden monster!

The other day I picked up a box of Rice Chex at the grocery store. Why Rice Chex? Because WIC approved cereals are VERY limited now, and I'm getting tired of Cheerios and Shredded Wheat. So, this time I got Cheerios and Rice Chex. Very low in sugar, with a whole bunch of vitamins and minerals!
It even has 50% of my daily iron, (which my daughter and I tend to be low on), in one serving! Fantastic, right?

Well this morning I pull out the box to pour myself a bowl, (heated till it's mush because my throat is still KILLING me),  and immediately my eyes are drawn to the back of the box. In big bold letters across the top of a recipe I see, CHEX MUDDY BUDDIES.


Then I remembered! In high school my best friend's mom got WIC, and we used to make MUDDY Buddies from the Chex mix and peanut butter. They are also called "White Trash" and various other names, but across the land they are well known as one of the most delicious, un-nutritious, mouth-watering easy little chocolate snacks you could ever eat!

My heart started racing...I wanted some muddy buddies! They even had a picture with the recipe on the back of the box, taunting me to make them, make them, make them! Just look at all that chocolate/peanut butter and confectioner sugar! Why on the back of this fairly healthy cereal, do they have to attack us with things we should stay away from?

Has anyone else ever had this problem? What foods make your heart go thumpity-thump, and how do you deal with it!?

Thankfully, I had no chocolate chips in the house, otherwise I don't think even a sore throat could keep me from those evil little chocolates.

No comments: