Monday, April 22, 2013

Sweet potato soup

Okay, it took me a little while to get this exactly how I like it. I've made sweet potato soup several times, but this time it came out the best, and I'm recording it here so I can remember it!

I do apologize, but I don't really measure. I do a lot of things on the fly and by sight/taste. So, that being said, you will need to play with your own measurements. These are just estimates, not exact.

If you need evidence that this is good, I served it for lunch today to a 4 year old and two 2 year olds, and they all asked for seconds!

Ingredients

Splash of olive oil
1 onion: finely chopped
2 tablespoons minced garlic

1 Teaspoon ground ginger (could also use fresh, but I cut a lot of corners)
2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar


*3-4 sweet potatoes: skinned and chopped in small blocks.
**5-6 cups of chicken broth
Salt to taste


Directions:
1. In a sauce pan, heat Olive oil. Add onions and garlic and saute until onions are just barely brown and soft.
2. Wisk in Ginger and Brown Sugar. Allow it to cook for a minute or less.
3. Toss Sweet potato in with onion mix and let it cook for a few minutes.
4. Poor the chicken broth into the pan. Stir well and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and allow to simmer for about 20 minutes.
5.*** When sweet potatoes are completely soft, remove them from the heat and allow them to cool down for a bit. Once cool enough, puree in a blender or food processor. (You can use a hand mixer or hand blender, but I don't have one).


Tips:


*The smaller you chop the potatoes, the quicker they cook! Amazing how that works, isn't it!?

**You can sub the chicken broth for 5-6 cups of water and a few blocks of chicken bouillon.  If you use bouillon, boil the water and allow the bouillon to disolve before you add it in. Do NOT add tdon't add any salt at the end. 


***You don't want the soup to be too hot when you put it in the blender, or you may end up getting burned! If you are using a hand blender, you can go ahead and puree the soup while it is still hot.

No comments: